What are the prospects of getting a degree in bioinformatics?




Question by M: What are the prospects of getting a degree in bioinformatics?
Currently I’m an environmental science (remote sensing GIS) major, but i’m worried that I won’t have enough room to excel after college. As I considered biology as a choice I immediately began to understand the concept of bioinformatics among other biology areas of study.
I would probably get a molecular biology degree, and learn broaden my computer programming skills on my own.
What else is a good choice of a major change, if any at all is necessary?
Best answer:

As more and more data is compiled, data mining and analysis is becoming more important.
Try to get into data analysis or image analysis.
Learn Python and other scripting languages, to be able to addon to analysis programs.
Mol Biol is more of a tool based discipline, if you can merge cell biol with analysis, that would be good.
you need to have a high level of statistics, of computational biology, of Matlab.